In honor of National Children’s Dental Health month, celebrated every February, Dr. Scott Loeser of Urgent Care Dental visited a group of first graders at Fox Meadow Elementary School in Scarsdale, NY, to discuss the importance of oral hygiene. Engaging in fun, educational activities with Dr. Loeser’s puppet assistants, the children learned about the importance of practicing oral hygiene routines. He also presented and explained several x-rays of a child’s mouth and adult’s mouth to highlight how our teeth develop over time. Explaining every aspect and part of the human tooth was also part of the visit. Every child received a toothbrush, toothpaste, a brushing chart and a little gift as well!
This month is used to educate children, parents and teachers about proper dental upkeep, and how to have healthy teeth and smiles all year round. Here are a few tips from Dr. Scott Loeser himself:
• Children should brush their teeth after every meal for two to three minutes
• Parents should encourage healthy eating and habits. Avoid candy, especially sticky candy, and sugary drinks and sodas
• Children should have dental sealants applied to their teeth once their six-year molars come in. Sealants help protect the teeth from bacteria which may result in future cavities
• Many Americans hate the idea of flossing; however, both children and parents, need to floss once a day for clean, healthy teeth and gums
• Children should visit their dentist at least twice a year for cleanings and check-ups to ensure their teeth are developing properly
• Make brushing fun! Play their favorite song to get them through brushing and flossing their teeth or have them choose their own favorite toothbrush color and toothpaste flavor
About Dr. Scott Loeser:
Dr. Loeser has been practicing general dentistry for over a decade and has been at his current location, Scott F. Loeser, D.M.D., D.I.C.O.I., P.C. & Associates, in Thornwood, NY for 14 years. Dr. Loeser is highly skilled in performing dental implants as well as all aspects of General Dentistry and has recently become a Diplomate with the International Congress of Oral Implantologists. In addition to his general dentistry practice in Thornwood, Dr. Loeser opened two urgent care dental facilities in Scarsdale and Riverdale. Urgent Care Dental specializes in treating dental emergencies and treating pain exclusively. The offices are open seven days a week, 365 days a year and provide a better alternative to hospital emergency rooms, which are generally not equipped to handle such dental emergencies.